Tuesday, September 8, 2009

July 8, 2009

I’m sitting on British Airways Flight 062 on my way to London to get a transfer flight to D.C. where I will board a U.S. Airways Flight at 10pm - destination: Boston, where I will be reunited with my parents. I’m so excited to see them. This whole trip, this entire experience has been absolutely incredible. There’s no other way to say it, it truly has been one of the most incredible experiences of my life and promises to remain just that long after I return home. Years in the future I will look back to this trip as one of the pivotal time periods of my life. I’ve met some of the most resilient people who have gone through traumatic experiences but are learning how to recover one day at a time. I’ve walked the streets of Gulu, I’ve ridden a dirt bike across the north, visiting villages and having conversations with people through translation. I’ve made connections with people I never would have met if not for this trip. Although I can’t keep in touch with the students I’ve met - I will never forget them. For instance, Irene, who I met at Keyo, made an impact on my life. She has been through so much, but she keeps pushing forward - she wants to help others - she wants to make a difference. Then there’s Isaac, a student at Atanga, he was part of the Invisible Children Club at his school called “Bright Star” and wants to be a Doctor when he’s older.


Students like Irene and Isaac have so much motivation, so much determination, so much passion - it’s so inspiring, and it makes me want to work so much harder to raise awareness when I return home. Heaven forbid violence were to return to northern Uganda again by means of Kony or some other rebel group... I shudder to think of the consequences. Having been there - having met the students, those who have worked and are working towards a better future, I can’t imagine not knowing if they were alive or in grave danger. I truly hope they never have to suffer the unspeakable horrors they’ve dealt with in the past ever again.


I hope I’m able to return to Uganda again - it is an absolutely amazing place. But I also hope I’m able to travel to other places and see more of the developing world. It really is important. I live in a nation that has so much - and although we shouldn’t just give handouts (creating dependency) it is important to realize the connection we have - person to person - human to human. We’re all connected...


3 hours, 5 minutes till we land in London. I’m getting closer to home!

No comments:

Post a Comment