Tuesday, September 8, 2009

July 8, 2009 (continued...)

I’ve officially been awake for 24 hours. I woke up at 5am this morning Ugandan time and now at 10pm in Washington D.C. I have been awake and active for the entire span of a day. I’m on an emotional high, I get to see my family after 3 weeks of being gone. I just walked through Dulles Airport by myself and discovered I’m more nervous than expected, but that might also be due to the 24 hours of being awake and the fact that I was by myself. It’s so strange being back in the states, it’s so weird being in the majority. I really enjoyed being the odd one out. The joy I found in Uganda isn’t here in the U.S., it’s really sad to come home and come to the realization that although we have so much privilege we are much less joyful and happy than the those who have so little. The people in northern Uganda have been through so much but the laugher they share is so wonderful it makes anyone who hears want to smile.


But I’m going home, I’ll sleep in my bed tonight. It’s so strange.


My cell phone is dead and I just realized I’m on a different flight than I’m supposed to be on. I don’t know what I’m going to do - I’ll figure it out some way, some how. I’m hoping there’s somewhere I can charge my phone on this plane. We’re waiting on the runway for takeoff right now. Getting home may be more stressful than I thought if I’m on the wrong flight. It’s going to the right place though... Boston, MA. But if there’s no one waiting for me and my parents find out my phone wasn’t charged I’m in big trouble!


Back to thinking about the past three weeks, I feel my eyes starting to tear up - I didn’t want to cry in front of everyone at the airport. But I’ll cry now. The girl sitting next to me is sleeping and I doubt anyone will notice the silent tears falling down my face. Time to let my emotions pour out...


I just want to go back.


Uganda. Is. Home.

1 comment: