Tuesday, September 8, 2009

July 7, 2009

It’s been 2 days since I’ve written! Unbelievable! I guess I’ll just have to begin where I left off. When we left the intern house - destination: Murchison National Park, I wasn’t feeling all that well and ended up sleeping the entire drive. When we reached the park we were officially in Safari Zone where we saw antelopes, giraffes, and other Ugandan Wildlife. We kept driving and ended up at the Nile River where we took a ferry (dock with a motor) to the other side. There we took the bus up to the top of the hill (thanks to a kind man who offered us a ride on his bus for free) where we ate at the Red Chile where I ate chipati and baked beans. We then walked down to the base and boarded our boat tour on the Nile. We saw hippos, alligators, and the beautiful Murchison Falls. I slept the majority of the time though (I really wasn’t feeling well).


The tour finished and we were dropped off where we started. We again boarded our bus and drove back through the park sighting an elephant along the way! We arrived at a small tenting lot in the middle of the park and discovered that was where we were to sleep - in the middle of the Ugandan bush!


I really wish I wasn’t sick.


The next morning we left and made our journey to Adrift in Jinja. Again, I slept the whole way. When we arrived at Adrift - I slept on the couch, ate dinner, and was the first to bed. I don’t think I’ve ever slept so much in my entire life.


I thankfully woke up this morning feeling much better - I think I slept off the worst of it!


We rafted and swam in the Nile today (Class 5 rapids!) AMAZING. We only flipped once but it was incredibly thrilling.


After rafting we collected our things and drove to Kampala (where I am now). we’re staying at a hostel that is surprisingly very nice. We leave at 6am tomorrow morning.


We had a dinner at the restaurant downstairs tonight that was quite fancy and very delicious. Zach, Andrew, and Jed gave a speech about how great everyone on the trip is and what an incredible experience we’ve all had - it was really touching. I’m going to miss everyone when I go back home.



No comments:

Post a Comment