Monday, August 3, 2009

June 28, 2009

This morning we went to church and the experience was absolutely amazing. The mass was Catholic, but the one thing that struck me was there were no empty seats - it was standing room only. When the choir sang I almost cried, it was so beautiful. 


The people that filled the congregation had been through so much, but they were incredibly happy - they pushed through the pain and found what joy they could. I envy their resilience, I’ve never met people like them before. If I had the chance to stay here - in Uganda - in Gulu, I probably would - no questions asked.  


When we returned to the intern house the children followed us back from church. As we entered the compound their small hands and arms reached through the gate after us - they wanted to meet us, talk to us, touch or skin. Naturally we left the compound to greet them and say hello. When we asked if we could take their pictures they became excited and started giggling - smiles stretched across their faces. Each time we took a picture we’d show them on the digital screen so they could see the resulting image. This continued for 15 or so minutes, us taking pictures and them laughing and smiling - it made my heart melt. Something as simple as taking a photo made their day. All the young children wanted to touch our hands - they’d run up, stretch their arms out, tap us, and run away - daring their friends to do the same. 


Being here is so surreal, I can’t imagine going home. I love it too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment