Wednesday, August 5, 2009

July 1, 2009 (continued...)

Today I shadowed a student from Awere Secondary “Displaced” School - Eunice. Eunice is 18 years old and in level S4 (Secondary 4). She didn’t really open up to me and at times I felt she was a bit reserved. But I certainly learned a lot about a typical school environment and saw first-hand how the Ugandan Education system in the north works. Students stay in the same classroom all day and it is not the student that goes to the teacher, but the teacher that goes to the student. The first class I sat in on was History and the teacher was late. After History there was a break, during this time Eunice brought me to the teacher’s building where I ate a Ugandan donut-like pastry. When break had finished Eunice returned to bring me back to her classroom where I sat through my first Chemistry Lesson. The class following Chemistry was supposed to be Math, but the teacher never came and the Chemistry teacher saw it as an opportunity to continue his lesson - so he did, for another hour and a half. 


Students at Awere do not have textbooks - so in-turn they have to write their lessons by hand. Their teachers (who do not always show up to class) read the text aloud - the students are then expected to write each and every word they say verbatim. Sitting in Eunice’s class left me feeling extremely conflicted and guilty. Here I am, two and a half months from attending Phillips Academy and Eunice at 18 years old spends her days sitting in a class having her textbook dictated to her. Why is the world like this? Why is it so unfair? She could be the most intelligent student in the world, but the resources just aren’t there. Half the time the teachers don’t feel like showing up to class.


During lunch one of the teacher interns brought us to the market where I ordered a halter-top and a skirt from a local tailor, totaling 28,000 Ugandan Schillings ($14 USD). I’ll pick them up on Saturday. We took a boda-boda back to Awere School (even though I don’t think we were supposed to!) It was my first time on one, and more than likely my last - but it was so much fun all the same. I sat sideways clutching to the seat with all my might. Later when we left the school to return home we took a small detour to stop by a local village and visit with the children. They were absolutely adorable. We took their pictures and showed them, just as we had with the children that had followed us home from church. They too giggled and laughed, it made my heart melt. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen American children as happy as I’ve seen the children in Uganda. They have so little, but they wear the widest most beautiful smiles I’ve ever seen. 


A few things I forgot to mention... When I was at Awere today, Eunice asked me if I was mixed. I did not understand, so I asked her to explain what she meant. “Is your father or mother African?” she asked. I laughed and undoubtedly said, “No. Why would you ask such a thing?” “You have big lips and a smaller nose like an African” she replied. I found this to be pretty funny, because I complain about the fact that I’m so white half the time, I’ve always felt my ethnicity was so bland, so boring... But when she asked me if I was African it truly made my day (as funny as that may sound). To add to the humor... as Eunice and I were walking around her school the students were whispering and talking in Lwo so I wouldn’t know what they were saying. I asked Eunice, “What are they talking about? What are they saying?” and she replied, “The students all think you look like an Indian.” AN INDIAN AND AN AFRICAN?! This is the best day of my life! Forget about my European heritage, Ugandan teens think I look like an Indian AND an African. I’m on top of the world! But then I realized... I haven’t taken a shower in a few days, maybe my Gulu tan (dirt) is making me appear to be something I’m not. Regardless, I’m just glad they asked.


Another funny story about today. Jedidiah Jenkins was walking back to the intern house by himself after dropping us off at Awere and was approached by a young child. The kid looked him in the eye, held out his hand and said, “Mzungu (white person) - give me money!” Jed looked at this little kid and says, “No! You give me money!” The child was baffled and walked away, he was probably confused as to why Jed didn’t give him anything. But it’s time that stereotype (the stereotype that Westerners just come to give hand-outs so they feel better about themselves) is proven wrong.


It’s Wednesday, a week since I’ve seen my parents, a week since I’ve touched my phone... I love being here and I love not being surrounded by modern conveniences, but it’s difficult being so far away from the people you love. Being here really makes me appreciate the amazing people in my life. 


Tomorrow is Day-in-the-Life of a Mentor!

1 comment:

  1. Alexandra,
    It is so nice to read these blogs. My name is Will and I was in Gulu recently for about a month (during June) visiting a primary school called UNIFAT. I think I met someone on that trip because they came to UNIFAT school looking to meet Abitimo the founder of the school. I think she was from Pittsburgh?

    I also had a blog while i spent time in Gulu this past summer. You can read it here if you have time: www.unifiedforunifat.wordpress.com

    Anyway, no doubt inspiring and life changing. Invisible Children does great work, as I'm sure you can account for. How are you adjusting to life back in the States? I still find it hard even though i've been back since July 6th. I'm counting the days till i leave next summer. I would love to talk to you about your experiences. My email is: tardiowj@muohio.edu

    hope all is well

    peace
    ~Will~

    ReplyDelete