Friday, July 31, 2009

June 25, 2009

I am on a British Airways Plane, destination - Entebbe, Uganda. I can’t even believe it. I’m going to Uganda! Uganda! I’m going! There’s no turning back. As I checked in to board the plane my boarding pass wouldn’t scan, so I was upgraded to business class! I’m sitting in this overly comfortable seat, with two large arm rests and there are two spoiled tired children sitting in the seat behind me. One just began  crying, his name ironically is Alex. Go figure. I sure hope these defiant young kids get a hold of themselves, or at least that their parents do. They’re crying over a stuffed animal, oh my. No one is sitting in the seat next to me and it would be awfully nice if it stayed that way unless someone from our trip could come sit next to me. Zach Barrows (our trip leader) is trying to pull the chaperone card to get the seat - hopefully it works (he deserves it). I just saw a thumbs up and we’re good to go! Looks like Zach will be sitting next to me for the remainder of the trip. The kid behind me finaly stopped crying and it seems as if we’re almost ready to depart. I’m sitting right next to the window too - I get to look right out at the continent of Africa as we make our journey! Hopefully the clouds will subside and I’ll be able take at least a glance. We’re waiting now for things to settle down because apparently someone checked bags to our plane but never boarded. For security reasons the plane cannot leave unless the person returns or the bags are removed - so here we will wait. A baby sitting in the rear pipes up to make a cry for attention as I sit watching the bright lights of Heathrow International contrast against an ever darkening sky. I can’t believe this is reality - it’s just too unreal. I think of my parents and I think of my good friends - the people who have helped to shape me into the person I am today, they’re so far away - but I still feel that we’re so close. 


Our plane is finally pushing away from the gate and soon the safety video will play on the t.v. in front of me. The constant humming of the plane continues as our safety demonstration begins. The wheels turn ever so slowly as we make our way onto the runway, preparing for takeoff. Again, the baby in the back begins to cry. The instructional video has ended, all seat belts are fastened and we begin to move down the runway - my heart racing all the while. I take out my camera, this is a video I need to capture, I can’t ever forget our departure to Uganda. Our ascension into the sky, only to end when we have arrived in Entebbe - then and only then will we descend t a land I have dreamed of visiting for quite some time. Our take-off has been delayed as we wait in line behind flights leaving for Saudi Arabia and Quatar. Slowly inching forward we are coming closer and closer to the moment we lift up into the sky. Air India joins the line and I immediately think of my Uncle Chris who flies planes in India for Spice Jet. I hear the turbines spin faster and my excitement increases. We turn the corner and we’re next in line. Time to go! Our time has arrived at last! A hesitant pause before we blast into the air - this is the final moment of stillness, a deep breath before the adventure begins. We round the final corner and we’re off we’re flying, we’ve made it into the sky. The view of London from thousands of feet up is absolutely breathtaking. When you look to the window and gaze down at the city - a forest of bright lights cover the landscape. As we move forward we leave the forest of lights behind us and move to a more rural landscape, one where bright lights are all but non-existent. We are now above the clouds on the horizon line. Yet to my delight the clouds are few. I truly don’t know what else to say. This reality is so out of the world - it honestly blows my mind. I’m going to Uganda!

2 comments:

  1. Alex, you have, suddenly become my favorite writer ... This is such well done stuff. I was right there with you when the kids started crying and also with your Uncle in India. I am so pleased with this. Really!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful Alexandra. I'm so happy you got to experience all you have experienced in Northern Uganda. I get chills just thinking about this. Beautiful, just beautiful. My name is Alvaro Sarria, but this is my brother's email account... don't know why it's logged in as his, oh well!

    ReplyDelete